24 Jan Soused red salmon with kimchi and ikura foam
Soused red salmon with kimchi and ikura foam
- Fillets of red Alaskan salmon skin and bones removed
- 4 kilo coarse salt
- 800 g brown sugar
For the Kimchi:
- 1000 g honey
- 4 dl mirin
- 4 litre cream
- 600 g Kimchi
- 4 dl soy sauce
- 16 g fish gelatin
- Mix the salt and brown sugar and put a layer in the bottom of a stainless steel tray: place the cleaned salmon fillets on top so they are not touching each other. Cover with the rest of the salt and leave in the fridge at 2 ºC for 2 hours.
- Then remove the salt, wash the fillets well under cold running water, dry them and rub with extra virgin olive oil. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
For the Kimchi foam:
- caramelize the honey until dark golden brown, add the mirin and cook until the alcohol has burned off. Add the cream and reduce for 10 minutes until creamy. Remove from the heat and add the kimchi and soy sauce, mix in well and finally add the soaked fish gelatin until dissolved and pass through a very fine sieve.
- Put the mixture in a syphon and refrigerate. Load two syphon charges.
- Cut the salmon into 8 mm thick strips and arrange on a plate. Decorate with a little Kimchi foam and some Ikura roe. Sprinkle with a little finely chopped chive and some drops of olive oil.