27 Jan Alaska Black Cod with Sugarcane Marinade
Alaska Black Cod with Sugarcane Marinade
- 16 Alaska Black Cod fillets approx. 6 oz. each
- 16 oz. baby carrots
- 4 small bulb fennel
- 16 oz. pearl onions
- 8 oz. fava beans or sugar snap peas
- 12 oz. sugarcane juice or 2 oz. mirin rice sweet cooking wine
- 8 tbsp. olive oil
- tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 8 oz. spiced lobster broth see recipe
- Sprig of cilantro garnish
SPICED LOBSTER BROTH
- Yield: 2 cups
- 4 cup garlic whole
- 8 cups peanut oil
- 12 cups lobster stock
- 1/2 cup gingerroot chopped
- 4 tbsp. fermented black beans
- 12 oz. rock sugar or organic turbinad
- 1/2 oz. salt kosher
- 1/2 oz. black pepper ground
- In blender, process the garlic and peanut oil until finely minced. Combine with cold lobster stock and chopped ginger and bring to a simmer. Add curry paste, black beans and sugar. Cook for about 20 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Cut carrots into batons. Peel the outside ribs of the fennel then cut lengthwise into wedges. Blanch the onions in boiling water for 2 minutes, then drain and peel. Blanch the fava beans or sugar snap peas in boiling water 1 minute, then drain.
- If using sugar snap peas, peel after draining. Brush the top of the black cod with a mixture of sugarcane juice and olive oil. Sprinkle with freshly chopped ginger. Lightly season with salt and immediately refrigerate, covered, until needed.
- Heat 1 to 2 tbsp. olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan and stir all vegetables. Cook gently for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until just soft. Season with salt and black pepper, remove from the heat and keep warm. Brush olive oil over a baking tray large enough for all black cod fillets in one layer and arrange fish on the pan. Roast until medium, about 8 minutes. Fillets should be cooked on the outside, but still moist and slightly underdone on the inside.
- Ladle the Spiced Lobster Broth equally between 4 plates, place vegetables in the center of the sauce, then set the fish on top of the vegetables. Garnish with a sprig of cilantro.